The Boston Serious Burns Unit is pleased to present
The Greater Boston Community Burns Supper
An Evening of Songs, Poems, Tales, & Toasts to Honor the Bard of Scotland
Traditional Scottish meal • Toasts with Scotch whisky
Recitation of works by, about, & in the spirit of Burns
Highland dress or formal attire encouraged but not required.
Menu options provided by The Burren.
Haggis provided by the Boston Serious Burns Unit.
Entertainment provided by all of you!
OPEN SINGING TO FOLLOW THE SUPPER
Open sing is estimated to start at roughly 9 PM
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Jeff Keller 617-840-5123 • Lynn Noel 978-985-2707 • Jeremy Kessler 617-718-9623
Robert Burns statue in Boston
Note: this statue has been removed from Winthrop Square, and will eventually be relocated to the fens.
REGISTRATION - VERY IMPORTANT NOTES:
Advance registration is required for the formal supper!
Register by completing the form at <registration site coming soon>
Each attendee must complete the form separately, i.e., only one attendee per registration form.
You will receive an email confirmation following a successful registration.
Those coming only for the post-meal open sing need not register.
How Much Does It Cost To Attend?
We don't charge admission for the supper; you pay only for the food and drink that you order from The Burren.
- Plan to pay The Burren directly upon arrival.
- NOTE: The sooner everyone has checked in and paid, the sooner we can begin!
- Please remember to tip The Burren staff when paying for your food and drink, tipping as you would for any large party dinner out.
- We shall pass the hat at the end of the evening, but this is to cover our special expenses, such as paying for the piper and the haggis. It is *not* meant to substitute for normal tipping.
What's a Burns Supper?
"Every Burns Supper has its own special form and flavour, though there are probably more similarities than differences among these gastro-literary affairs. Individual tastes and talents will determine the character of your Burns Supper. Some celebrants may contribute the composition of original songs or poems; some may excel at giving toasts or reciting verse; while others may be captivating storytellers. A particular group of celebrants will, over time, develop a unique group character which will distinguish their Burns Supper celebration from every other."
How Is This Burns Supper Different from All Other Burns Suppers?
The Greater Boston Community Burns Supper, held since January 2010, has matured over the years, and boasts its own unique character. While some might argue with our use of the word "matured", it can hardly be denied that our supper is different:
- It is organized and presented by the community, for the community.
- There is no cover and no prix fixe, attendees pay only for their own food and drink (please remember to tip).
- There is a vegetarian entree option.
- It features the world's only (to our knowledge) "kosher haggis", complete with its very own "Address to the Kishke".
- A Burns-themed pub sing follows the formal supper.